Freezer cooking is an amazing way to save time and lower your grocery bill dramatically. Imagine life where you always have something to make for dinner, or to give a friend in need, or to feed unexpected company without a hitch. Now imagine only having to hit the grocery store a couple of times a month for milk and fresh fruit. Can you see why it’s one of the most popular meal planning methods ever?
I think one things that stops a lot of people from taking advantage of the time and money savings here is the perception that you have to spend an entire day in the kitchen. You CAN do that (I used to do this as a team effort with my sister in law), but it can also be as simple as spending an hour a week getting that week’s meals ready, or taking advantage of a great sale on BBQ meats and prepping them with marinades to go onto the grill later.
This works for any size family, from one person to the Duggar-sized clans. I’d also like to mention that many freezer meals can go straight from freezer to the crockpot, handy for insanely busy days or hot summer ones. I tend to go with the week-ahead method these days, depending on what’s available from our homestead and tiny local grocery store.
Whether you are a complete novice to freezer meals, or you’ve been doing it for years but could use some new recipes, this ultimate list of freezer cooking will have you set for years to come! Pin it, devour it, and share the deliciousness with your family and friends.
I’ve organized this loosely into categories, but you’ll miss out if you only hit one of them (in my completely unbiased opinion!) Read on:
Freezer tutorials to get you started:
Katie Cooks and Crafts has freezer cooking tips and recipes
She’s In Her Apron takes you through a freezer cooking day with recipes.
Aka Mommy has made this Aldi freezer meal plan and shows you how to prepare 10 meals in under 30 minutes.
This tutorial makes 5 Freezer Meals in 1 Hour
Here’s a tutorial on How to freezer cook: Freezer cooking 101
How about making 6 Chicken Slow Cooker Freezer Meals for under $60 ?
How about a huge collection of FREE freezer meals plans on video? Lots of dietary options here, too.
Books you’ll want to add to your collection once you get the hang of this (these are all ones I own myself or borrowed from the library):
1. Fix, Freeze, Feast has been my own personal favorite for about a decade now. I can hit Costco, grab bulk portions of everything, and have it prepared all in one day. It makes decent quantities without my having to double meal sizes, even for my houseful of locusts.
2. Once-A-Month Cooking was the first freezer cooking book I ever read. It makes good-sized meals, has amazing desserts, and suggestions for helping others with your meals too. Christian readers in particular will love the extras such as meal conversation starters for unexpected or unfamiliar guests, and the carefully chosen Scriptural quotes for each chapter. Secular readers will love the recipes and can skip the rest.
3. Make-Ahead Meals Made Healthy is a terrific resource. I love its use of quality ingredients and step by step assembly help.
4. Freezer Cooking: Delicious Gluten-Free Meals is one that I borrowed and tested out. I had always thought of gluten free eating as bland but these were delicious!
5. Paleo Freezer: Freeze, Heat and Eat! is another library find. Also very, very tasty recipes.
6. Diabetic Delights: Sugar-free Freezer Recipes was a happy find on the shelves at the bookstore! If you’re diabetic or living with auto-immune disease, these multicultural recipes will knock your socks off taste-wise.
7. The Make Ahead Vegan Cookbook was another great find. We eat a lot of vegetarian meals and having so many options for my freezer planning is wonderful. I like that they’re vegan, too, so I don’t have to tweak them for my no-animal-products friends when they visit.
This is a post as part of iHomeschool Network’s Ultimate Guides series. Click on the image below to find many, MANY more ultimate guides to help you in all aspects of your life!