Nature walks don’t have to be a whole educational, heavily planned production, and I think the notion that they do is what stops a lot of people from adding them to their daily, or even weekly, plans.
Instead of thinking of them as yet more lessons that must be ticked off a list, approach them instead as a way of deepening your connection to nature by being out there experiencing the turn of seasons, the changes from one day to the next, and the sheer joy of running until you’re breathless or tiptoeing as you follow a silent path in the shade.
Nature walks have been a part of our life some my 25 years old was little, and they have become a family pleasure not to be missed. I’ve got a list here of 12 nature walks to try anytime, alone or with a group, to show you that it can be simple, pleasurable, and something to anticipate eagerly each day.
Grab the kids or a walking partner, head out to the nearest place with a view of nature, and set yourself free!
1. Take Your Camera For a Walk from Rhythms of Play
2. Take a Texture Walk from The Educators Spin On It
3. 100 Things to Look for on a Nature Walk from Premeditated Leftovers
4. 25 Tips For Family Hiking Adventures from Steam Powered Family
5. Listening Walk from Growing Book by Book
6. Geocache Basics from Something 2 Offer
7. 10 Ways to Add Fun to Your Nature Walk from A Life in Balance
8. Full Moon Hike from Super Duper Fantastic
9. Nature Scavenger Hunt List from Honey’s Life
10. Getting Started Challenges from Handbook of Nature Study
11. Bluebird Nature Walk ~ Includes Facts & Nesting Boxes from Starts at Eight
12. Nature Pocket Art from 5 Minutes for Mom