Here are my top 10 ways to study flowers, gathered through hours of perusing Pinterest and the rest of the web – oh, how I suffer for this blog! Torture! If you want to do more flowers nature study but lack inspiration, this post is the one for you to pin. Don’t miss all the links for other flower activities from fellow bloggers near the end of the post, too. Oh, and the great giveaway to get to started!
Ok, let’s get to it! In no particular order:
Top 10 Ways to Study Flowers
1. Why not forage for clover and make tea with your kids, like Cassidy at Freshly Planted did?
photo credit FreshlyPlanted.com
2. Proof positive that even the little ones can study daffodils with a still life painting at Rainy Day Mum.
photo credit RainyDay Mum.co.uk
3. You can study dandelion seeds with this great collection of resources from Unit Study Ideas blog…I don’t know about you, but our grass has enough dandelions to spend a good year on this one!
photo credit UnitStudyIdeas.com
4.I shared my own wildflower identification project from at the cottage when I was a kid myself, oh-so-many-moons ago. Why not see if your kids would like to try it where you live?
5. Munchkins and Moms had her preschoolers sorting actual flower parts – what a great hands-on learning experience! I’m pretty sure that my elementary aged student would love to do a more detailed version of this one.
photo credit MunchkinsandMoms.com
6. Sugar Spice and Glitter had a different take on it that incorporates some fine motor skills as well – flower dissection
photo credit SugarSpiceandGlitter.com
7. KC Edventures has this fantastic post that shows this parts of a flower pollination activity .
photo credit KC Edventures.com
8. Cathy from Nurturestore show you how to grow Sunflowers with children. Lots of good ideas in there!
photo credit Nurturestore.co.uk
9. Over at Premeditated Leftovers there’s a great tutorial for how to make a portable flower press. I can think of so many times this would have come in handy!
photo credit premeditatedleftovers.com
10 If you want an entire overview of the wildflowers around you, why not grab this Wonderful Wildflowers unit study that’s all pulled together for you with links, artist study ideas, poetry, Bible study (in its own section so secular homeschoolers can use this study just as well too), and book suggestions?
photo credit ShingDawnBooks.com
I’m a huge fan of Shining Dawn Books’ NatureExplorers units, as longtime readers may remember from our Fungus unit study, and we’ve done many others along the way that didn’t make it onto the blog……in fact, right now we’re in the middle of their Delightful Deciduous Trees unit study.
If this grabs your interest (there are tons to choose from and all laid out for you to open and go!), you’ll be delighted to know that Cindy from Shining Dawn Books has offered THREE lucky readers the NatureExplorers nature study unit of their choice! This is open to my readers worldwide and comes as a download. Enter this one really simply; by sharing this post on social media and copying the direct link to your share as a comment.
Bonus entries (separate comments please!): Follow The Usual Mayhem on Facebook and leave me a comment telling me what name you’re following under. Follow Our Journey Westward on Facebook and leave a comment telling me what name you’re following under.
I’ll get in touch with the winners June 1st, 2016. Scroll down to enter and good luck!
This post contains affiliate links; when you click through my affiliate links I get a tiny percentage of the sale which goes towards the costs of running the blog. Thanks for your support!
Make sure you take a look through all these great posts on flowers too!
Top 10 Flower Sensory Play Ideas from Sugar, Spice & Glitter
Top 10 Flower Activities for Preschoolers from Living Life and Learning
Top 10 Flower Wreaths from Witty Hoots
Top 10 Flower Art Projects for Kids from Craftulate
Top 10 Flowers for Summer Color by Our Good Life
Top 10 Flower Recycle Crafts by Teach me Mommy
Top 10 Flower Fine Motor Skills Activities from Happy Brown House
Top 10 Flower Petal Art Ideas from Our Whimsical Days
Top 10 Flower Sensory Bins from Adventures of Adam
Top 10 Flower Painting Ideas from Messy Little Monster
Top 10 Sunflower Activities for Preschool by Preschool Powol Packets
Top 10 Flower and Garden Themed Snacks from Something 2 Offer
Top 10 Flower Math Activities from Play & Learn Every Day
Top 10 Book-Inspired Flower Crafts for Kids from Playground Parkbench
Top 10 Flower Books for Kids from Sunny Day Family
Top 10 Flower Suncatchers from Rhythms of Play
Top 10 Flower Science Experiments for Kids from Lemon Lime Adventures
Top 10 Seed Science Experiments for Kids from Little Bins for Little Hands
Top 10 Ways to Learn and Explore with Flowers for Kids from Powerful Mothering
Top 10 Magical Fairy Gardens from Crafty Kids at Home
Top 10 Flower Themed Foods from Eats Amazing
Top 10 Ways to Study Flowers (with a giveaway!) by The Usual Mayhem
Top 10 Flower Gardens to Grow With Kids by Nemcsok Farms
Top 10 Flower Projects to Eat Wear Decorate or Gift by Words ‘n’ Needles